In this post, I am going to explore some basic differences between the various Photoshop file formats: PSD, TIFF and PSB
I’m working on a very large image, and it is a panorama of (42) 10 MP captures, each between 8-10 MBs, merged into Photoshop CS5.1.
Photoshop CS 5.1 can not save anything over 2.0 GBs as a PSD file…
The TIFF file is 3.7 GBs…
and the PSB file is 2.7 GBs…
In this example above, there is approximately 1 GB (25%) loss in file size…
Where did it go?
- File compress?
- Color Data?
- File Optimization?
- Photoshop PSD (max) file size: 2 GBs
- Photoshop PSB (max) file size: 4 exabytes (300,000 x 300,000 pixels – 350 x 350 feet)
- TIFF (max) file size: 4 GBs
- Lightroom is not “seeing” my 2.7 GB PSB file, but is “seeing” the 3.7 GB TIFF.
- “Optimize performance | Photoshop CS4, CS5” – Adobe Systems
anyone got any ideas?